Machine factory Stork Brothers and Co. in Hengelo (Ov.) was officially founded in 1868, but had then already gone through a trial period. The company grew especially large in the beginning of the twentieth century. Stork became one of the largest machine factories of the Netherlands.
Stork and Co. gave much attention to the workers' interests. Health insurance, a pension plan and a form of profit sharing were all installed, and there was a degree of staff involvement. In the early twentieth century, Stork decided to construct a Garden Village where the Stork employees could live in good housing and clean surroundings.
In the 1960s the company, like so many other companies in that time, was split up, reorganised, and parts of it were sold off or transferred to umbrella organisations.