The General Dutch Cyclists’ Association was formed in 1883 by the merging of local cycling clubs. The organisation changed rapidly around the turn of the 20th century; the demand for the automobile grew slowly but steadily. In 1904, the name was changed to the A.N.W.B. Tourist Board for the Netherlands and as of 1974 it became the Royal Dutch Touring Club ANWB.
The history of the ANWB roadside assistance started shortly after the Second World War when it was decided to offer assistance to members whose vehicles had broken down. The Netherlands had become extremely mobile but the technology at the time meant that the fleet of cars was very vulnerable. The collection of automotive documentation that was built up from then on is substantial. In 2003, the collection was handed over to the NCAD.
The selection made for the Memory is comprised of press photos and brochures dating back to the period 1910 to 1980.